Saturday, January 17, 2015

The Healing Power of Good Art

If pictures & videos don't come up in your email, click here: Coffee At My Table

My father just had a kidney removed over a week ago. My sister and her husband drove all night to be with Dad for the surgery. My sister-in-law and our niece were there also.

While Dad was in recovery, the six of us sat in the waiting area. The surgeon walked up to my mother. The look on his face told us that something was amusing him.

"Mrs. Huff, your husband is singing in recovery." I asked if it was The Girl from Ipanema, and the good doctor replied, "I don't know, but everyone is enjoying the singing." Later that evening after Dad got settled in his room, his nurse let my mother and me know we could go in.

He told us his name was Gabriel and added, "He's taught me some Portuguese and I am teaching him some Spanish." Later Mom told me his name was appropriate as he had that extra gift of grace in all of his dealings with Dad. He told Mom that he liked to treat his patients the way he'd treat his own parents.

So I asked Gabriel if had heard Dad sing, specifically The Girl from Ipanema. At that moment, Dad, still in his half-wakened state began softly singing The Girl... Knowing the song, Gabriel chimed in matching Dad's volume as not to disturb the other patients.

As I have mentioned in other blog posts, my early years were filled with all kinds of music. Though my father is a minister and we love singing in church and singing hymns outside church, we love all good music. I believe it elevates our God-given spirits.

This song may sound like elevator music to some, but let me offer a different perspective. It comes from a family of music meant to relax the soul.

Life can be tough and harsh sometimes, and what better way to soothe the soul but to bathe in well-thought through melodies and beautiful word pictures. Relaxing songs nurture and bring out the goodness in one's heart. I am not a trained philosopher nor a theologian, I am simply making an observation that humans need rest, redirection and redemption, and good music offers all three.

I also believe that God gave us the gift of music to enjoy, as a means of therapy and connection with other people. When cultures produce good art that nurture the soul, I see a characteristic born from the Creator to want to heal the human spirit. Afterall, we are made in His image. 

Spring in Live Oak Park - Photo by DHM

He loves us individually more than anyone else and seeks our good. And He will use anyone He wants to produce good art. Ours is to listen and watch for it if we are artists that we may make good art. If we are not artists, it is good to appreciate good art by encouraging good artists and investing in art and artistic events that elevate the soul.

I was an art student my first two years in college, but continue that gift in a different way. My canvas is family and friends. My media are hugs, gifts, and love -- lots of love. Am I perfect in my results? On some days, hardly. But as I learned long ago, if you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time. My aim is to bring beauty and joy to my "patrons." I only hope their critical observations will be as graceful as the art I attempt to produce, because good art heals.

My father is home convalescing, and while he will nurture his soul spiritually with God's written Word, he also enjoys the therapeutic results of gardening, watching good movies, reading good books, turning on good background music and connecting with family and friends. He's a artist in his ministry, allowing God's love to flow through him to others, and it is coming back to bless him. Good art also heals the artist.

This post is dedicated to my wonderful father and mother. Dad, wishing you great success in your healing! Mom, you are an artist incognito, your artwork is a clean and orderly home, lots of love for anyone walking through it's doors and good food to feed the body and soul!

2 comments:

DJ said...

Hi, Denise
First let me say that my prayers are with your father, you and your family. I hope that he will continue to improve every day in every way. Secondly, I totally agree with you that art is healing, whether it is through visual art or literature or song. Gotta love it, and I would love to see some of your photos or paintings if you have some to share :o)

Take care, my friend!

Denise H. McEwen said...

DJ,

Thanks so much for your kind words. I will pass along your well-wishes to Dad. I will certainly show some of my art work. Maybe my art professor will still have a comment. He is an amazing person still teaching young children. My niece recently took an art class from him.

Blessings,
Denise