Monday, July 23, 2018

Beatles Memories

My first connection with the Beetles was hearing about "those boys with the long hair"!

As a child of about four or five, all I recall were four guys with hair cuts like my little brother. Richard had the cutest bowl haircuts, though his was a tad shorter. I guess Rich's passed the dress code. Later in life I learned that "long hair" was anything that grazed the back of a collar.

Meanwhile, the Beetles became a part of our family.

Though we loved Brazil, my parents got homesick and often "killed homesickness" - as we'd say in Portuguese - by listening to American music. In prior posts, I've mentioned the sounds of Peter, Paul & Mary, Trini Lopez, Richard Anthony, along with mom's high school collegue, Roger Miller.

One of my favorite memories with Mom was going to all of the Beetles' movies when they came out. Mom's habit at the movies was to wait until the lights went down, then pull out her cat eye glasses.


This was the closest version I could find. Picture them in silver. I always thought they were so cool, but mom really didn't like being seen in them. (She has since been okay with this knowledge being shared and is now a part of her legendary portfolio of stories).

We'd get transported to another word with the songs. On the way home we'd attempt to sing some of the songs, since this was the age before cassettes. For those of you who don't know what cassettes are, they preceded the 8-track and then the higher quality cassette, and eventually, in the 90s, the CD...which now is a thing of the past with XM Radio, Blue tooth and so many more amazing options.

So when I saw this Carpool Karaoke with Sir Paul McCartney, it drew me in the same way, and transported me back to a wonderful time of music and family togetherness.

Enjoy!





No comments: