Wednesday, August 29, 2018

I-I-Ice B-B-Bath! Wahhhhh!

I recently added a regimen to my workout routine that was painful, but effective.

It's called an ice bath.

You have not lived until you try to sit in water that is 60 degrees F for two minutes. 

Optimum time is three minutes. The following graphic explains it all.
I had it all planned out. I did my usual run on a hot humid Houston morning, cooling down, then would try the ice bath.

I happened to be speaking to my first best friend since childhood on the phone, explaining what I was about to do. She "went with me" to McDonalds where I got ten lbs. of ice for $10, bargain! (In reality, it took two trips. Long story, but she was with me through the whole event.)

"I'm getting in!" I told Gina, "but stay on the phone...Arghhhh! I can't believe I'm doing this! Talk to me!"

I don't know what she said, because everything became other-worldly. The minute each body part hit the water, every vessel and gland constricted, including my tear ducts! I felt like crying but couldn't. I laughed! My body was now a popsicle!

Every 30 seconds felt like five minutes. I barely made the two-minute mark when I hopped out!

"Enough! I'm out of here!"

Then the most amazing thing happened a few minutes afterwards, just as promised. The blood rushed though my body and I began to feel great! In fact, I slept well, got up and had extra energy today.

When relaying the story to my aunt yesterday, she said she had never heard of ice baths until watching the US Open. I learned Novak Djokovic and Marton Fucsovics took an ice bath break. Then refreshed, went at it another two-and-a-half hours.

I recommend the ice bath, but only after doing your research and if it fits in with your personality and regimen. 

I am looking forward to my next one. I read they should be done at least one week apart. That's long enough to forget the pain and live in the gain, much like giving birth, so I hear.

This post is dedicated to all athletes paid and not, big and small, known and unknown doing what you can to care for your temple including challenging it to do the amazing so that you can live a longer, stronger more vibrant life!

Here's to the Polar Bears!

No comments: