Sunday, December 7, 2014

The limitless that is borne from the limited

If pictures & videos don't come up in your email, click here: Coffee At My Table
 So many good gifts. So little time.

I am going to attend worship service at my local congregation shortly. We sing unaccompanied by instruments. But during the week I enjoy a plethora of accompanied music, Christian, lite jazz, lite classical, blue grass, folk, country classics, pop classics and too many other genres to mention. There is a world of music too grand to know, and there are tunes yet to be written.

What is amazing is each song is written from the basic building blocks of 8 notes.

 I have loved music since a child. At one point I panicked thinking that all the notes would run out and no more songs could be written. I also had the same feeling about the 26 letters of the alphabet; that at one point everything of value would be written and one day all written works would dry up, and the landscape of humanity would find itself sitting in a vast wasteland wondering what to do next.
 
Well, the wonderful thing about appreciating God's good gifts as a Christian are all the good gifts God has for us to create for His glory to uplift those created in His image. There is an eternity of songs, literature and innumerable other gifts waiting to be created from the finite and limited sources around us.

The builder with a good eye looks at wood and sees the home that will house others. The seamstress/clothing designer with clear vision looks at wool and cotton and sees the beautiful clothing made to honor the human body. The engineer looks with a sound mind at materials waiting to be forged into machines to better humanity. The teacher with a good heart sees the opportunity to create a more sound human being, who better fit into their families and society.
 
I think you get the picture.

So after a week's worth of work in my own arena using the materials God has given me to build up those around me, I go worship the God who gave me the gifts I have, leaving all at the door to focus on Him with the congregation, joining their hearts, minds and voices to mine. By myself with Christ in my heart, mind and voice I know my sacrifice of praise is worthy. But bound together with the congregation, the love poured to God is limitless and undefinable.

Does this sound strange and hypocritical? It is no more strange than the fact a couple shares their hearts, minds and bodies in proper intimacy that they may better serve humanity by bringing more humans into the world and being better equipped in heart, mind and body to do the work needed in the world.
 
I have come to learn that worshiping and beseeching Eternal God to help build up and steward His creation with limited resources is one of the recipes for happiness in good times and fuels steadfast joy in times of trial. This plays into health and ultimately holiness. I also believe these three work together and only Holy God can judge rightly how this all works out. Mine is to do what He asks of me and praise Him all the more for His good gifts, the first being His beautiful and perfect son, Jesus.

Thank you God that in seeking to obey You and reflect Your Son by the power of Your Most Holy Spirit I am relieved of playing God. May my finite plans be put in Your Eternal and most capable hands. When any kind of joy-stealing wall is put up, give me the grace to tear it down with Divine Love. May our limited resources always be used for Your unlimited pleasure and attract others to your Door, that we may help all enter who are looking. May we encourage all who need it, always blessing those who even reject You. For only You know the depths of cursing others in our minds and hearts and the damage it can do to our souls when we give in.

Amen.

May your limits be healed and you find unlimited joy in eternal God! The sun is rising and I am going to enjoy a walk among God's handiwork.

This post is dedicated to those whose limits have been reached, who don't know where to turn when energy and hope have run out. This is your day to find help and healing in God, one of whose many names is Jehovah Rapha, meaning The Lord that heals, and El Olam, meaning The Everlasting God. "Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who trusts in Him" [Psalm 34:8] 


No comments: