Thursday, December 18, 2014

What does Home look like at Christmastime?

If pictures & videos don't come up in your email, click here: Coffee At My Table

I still have a grown up Christmas list, and it's pretty close to Amy Grant's. But my personal bag of memories and wishes -- in no particular order -- looks like this...

Home. Warmth. Comfort. Good humor. Grace. Helpfulness. Hugs. Football. Movies. Shopping. Walks.

"Food, family and fun," which is John's and my motto for family get togethers!

John and I sneaking out last minute to buy stocking stuffers for each other, and watching our long-gone dog Princess pine jealously over the stuffed socks on Christmas morning!
Hearing stories from the older generation and dreams from the younger ones.

Tearing into presents with the nieces and nephews over the years, sometimes orderly, sometimes not.

My father, mother, brother and sister and I sitting around a Christmas tree in the smallest home we lived in. We were in Brazil where Christmastime takes place during the summer! Santa wears shorts! 
Richard and I getting matching red Caloi bicycles one year, knowing it was a luxury to have such gifts.

My paternal grandfather giving me a camera when I was six, which gave me my love of photography.

Every year my maternal grandparents gave us boxes of lifesavers with a five dollar bill tucked inside, something they saved up all year to give to their many grandchildren!

Teasing with my uncle Von, who is two years older than myself, and my playful cousins Kent and Kyle who can't resist finding the funny in everything!

Singing carols around the piano with my mother-in-law, and continuing into the new year as she likes to celebrate the twelve days of Christmas ending at epiphany.

Watching my sister Andreia read my parent's Christmas cards and catching up on where our friends are now.
Dad and Mom playing Christmas music softly in the background, and sometimes someone will join in singing along.

My sister-in-law Kim's green bean casserole.

Long walks and talks with John's sister ML that are more refreshing and upbuilding after being together.

Christmas in Boston when my family was a long way away, but I was welcomed by my northern family, Harry, Bev, Sarah and Andy. My memories of Brantwood Road grow more beautiful with each passing year! Thanks for including me on Harry's Hanukkah traditions where I could see them firsthand! What fun that was.

Everything is magnified at the holidays, including love, kindness and good humor. This is how I know I have a great family. There is more goodness among us when we come together. We do our best not to hide love from each other during the year; we express it as we can in little bits. It's magnified because we are saving it to give to each other in person.

So Home looks like Love. It is Love and Love leaves its stamp when everyone is gone.  

May your Christmas season be filled with love, comfort and joy!

This post is dedicated to my family whom I love! You have given me great love always. We are looking forward to making more memories this year!  

No comments: