Friday, May 1, 2015

People Are My Books & Books Are My People

When I was younger, I wasn’t a great reader. In fact, I didn’t try to read because the people around me served as my books.

I was the type that would start a book and not finish it, then feel guilty years later associating personal failure with my lack of finishing books, and other things. 

So I made a decision sometime in my late teens that I would finish books I started, unless they were irrelevant.

I began journaling in Jr. High. Life was exciting and I didn’t want to forget one drop of it!

Journaling helped me preserve the best memories about my friends and family. Later, journaling helped me sort through emotions in my personal development. Journaling has also served as a way to thank God for his gifts, for recording answered prayers and as a general talking back to God.
Doodling in school transformed into writing my thoughts down at work when life felt overwhelming, or when I was navigating my own belief system, trying to learn what had not been specifically taught or shoring up a conviction in the middle of a difficult situation.
About eleven years ago I decided to take writing seriously. My creative side had transformed from a visual artist – the one that got the art scholarships to college – into a creature who couldn’t stop thinking about life and thanking God and others for their contributions to my blessed life.
I read recently that overnight success takes about 15 years. I may get there yet, but meanwhile I write. I read books cover to cover about themes and people whom I admire, seek to imitate [until my own voice develops more], and then write about at some point.

I don’t beat myself up any more about not having been a cover-to-cover reader as a child, because now I understand that people were my books. From the missionary team my parents were a part of, to the rich landscape of Brazilians I grew up with - and others cultures in Brazil - each person was a book in progress. Each life a story to savor, enjoy, laugh and cry with.  


Now I am understanding that books can be my people. When there are no contemporaries that I can connect with on a certain topic, I can find a book by someone who resonates with what I am seeking. I am richer for the good gifts of books and unending stories that reflect the living God, even subtly.

No comments: