Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Some thoughts on having peace in the middle of the storm

We have massive thunderstorms in our area today. In fact, the country has been riddled with unusual upheavals of tornado, hail, wind and unstable weather activity.

The weather has been harshest to those in the southwest, particularly parts of northern Texas and Oklahoma.
In our family we are all reacting differently according to our realities.

My sister is first on the list of heroes. She and her husband and children are seeking to help those in their area who have been less fortunate, including a family who lost everything to a recent flood.

Others are staying put as getting out in this weather may pose more of a hazard.

That's me.

With parents who count on us, it's not wise to rescue others at our parent's expense. They need us here and now. Meanwhile I continue to work at my desk and stay tuned to the weather.

I also know I am privileged to have the time to blog at will and don't take it for granted. I am very grateful and seek to use my words wisely and in a way that leaves you better for having visited my writings.
John, on the other hand, is out making it happen. He's "hunting something down and killing it" so we can have dinner tonight, if you know what I mean. The weather is not keeping him in, partly because his work is not where the most severe troubles are. Yet, the troubles are all around. He understands the risk and is tuned in and ready to get to higher ground if needed.

I could be frantic, but chose focus.
I could chose to fixate on horror, but chose humor.
I could be jittery, but chose joy.
I could chose non-sanity, but I chose service.
I could be worried, but chose wisdom.

I could panic, but chose peace.
Check with me at the end of the day to see if I met my goals. My prayer is you'll pray for me as much as I am praying for you in your circumstances. We need each other, and it's so good to know people are wishing you the best where ever you are, and they know you are wishing them the best.
I have work to do today. So do you.

May you find peace within in the middle of the storms that rage without.

Finally, may we all make peace with the past,
preside over our present-day well
and feel deeply optimistic about the future.
For I believe more today God blesses those
who stay connected with their own
and who realistically seek to bless everyone in their path.

This post is dedicated to all the trained workers, reliable rescuers and loving volunteers who serve those affected by the storms of life.

No comments: